Sunday, January 8, 2017

Renovating Our Lives


We are what we see. We are products of our surroundings.

Amber Valleta

Renovation

We are renovating the bedroom.  For two years I have been walking on plywood.  I had removed the carpets  when my children's allergies were acting up.  ( I didn't remove the pets...just the carpets...my bad!).  I had intended to patch up all the walls, paint and replace the flooring.  I had another off work situation and was never able to afford flooring for my room.  I got the kids' rooms done when I was feeling better and was working...did it myself...but did not have the physical energy or finances to do my own.

So I accepted the plywood as my temporary perch for my feet to land upon in the morning. It  always bothered me...reminded me of my situation and negative circumstances.  I don't like to be reminded of those things...I like to focus on strengths and all the blessings I have.

Now that D. is here we put a little aside from his insurance money to renovate a room that badly needed some patch work, painting, a larger bed and a floor.  It is looking good.

We did not spend a fortune.  In fact the mattress and box spring were more than double the cost of renovations...and we got that for a good price. 

I like the fact that we are doing it ourselves.  I always loved that feeling of knowing I could physically change my surroundings.  Well D. is doing most of it...I am just handing him things and acting as an assistant lol but it still feels that "we' are doing it. 

And to see the room changing before our eyes is so amazing.  Healing almost.

So what is the point of my story?

We do not have to be surrounded by negative reminders of situations we feel stuck in.  Though we may not be able to change the entire situation we can make small but helpful modifications that feed the soul with hope and remind our overworked brains that things can only get better.  It doesn't have to cost a lot.  And it doesn't have to be overwhelming to make those changes.  All we need is a little creativity, planning, saving and the precious support  and assistance from loved ones.

All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment