Sunday, January 29, 2017

Ice Storm 2017

There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm.
Willa Cather

Learning from the Storm

My area is recovering from a wicked blast from nature.  An ice storm descended upon us last Tuesday evening with a fury of wind and weather that led to a great deal of destruction.  Thousands of people were left without power for days....some still do not have any. We were without electricity or water for three days here.

Making the Most of it

 I  did my best to look at the situation in a positive way and joked to my loved ones about how we were doing the "pioneer challenge ."  Buckets of ice were not being thrown over our heads but over the heads of the beautiful trees and supporting structures around us.  We, as a result, were being shoved back into those early days our ancestors endured as "normal".  Stripped of electronic devices, we are much too attached to, we were forced to find other means to pass the time...and focused, like they did, on survival. Food, water and staying warm were our priorities. 

When those things were at least minimally taken care of...we looked at each other over candle light as if for the first time and we talked face to face, we laughed and we played board games. We connected.  We did not feel like victims because we knew we were no worse off than anyone else in the community.  Almost everyone was doing the pioneer challenge whether they wanted to or not. In some unspoken way it brought the community away from "me" focus to "we" focus.

What a time for Pain to visit

At least for me that was partially true.  I stayed very positive and almost found it "exciting" until exposure to the constant cold led to bout after bout of chest pain.  My other little issue decided to make the experience even more challenging with shooting pain in my left groin that caused hot flash after hot flash making me have to strip the blankets off even in the below 0 temperatures.  It was like the two pains and the two extremes of temperature were having a tag team wrestling match with me. I struggled on the third day to keep it together. 

Not knowing when the power would return or when the pain would go away...I felt "overwhelmed" by life.  I sought solace in mediation...in finding calm but I couldn't seem to "stop" myself from perceiving the entire experience  more of a struggle than a challenge. When the power finally returned and with that the heat...my body though definitely weakened came around and I sighed in realization.  It was not the calm...this time....that I was meant to learn from...but the storm itself.

What did the storm outside of me and the storm inside of me teach?
  • We take too much for granted: Water that flows freely from the taps ( warm water), toilets that flush, houses that are warm and welcoming, light that fills the room whenever we flick a switch, appliances that keep our food fresh or help us to prepare it and means of distraction and entertainment that are only a push of a button away.  Do we appreciate it this enough?  Or do we simply feel "entitled" to do what we wish with it...to waste it and take it for granted? An ice storm reminds us of how precious and fragile our energy sources are.
  • Nature reminds us there is no "me". When these natural crisis's strike us, we are reminded that the me is so tiny and insignificant.  It reminds us that there is a much bigger focus to protect and look after...the "we".  Communities are brought together and selfish quests for preservation give way to what is best for all.
  • Life is indeed a beautiful struggle.  There may be so much destruction but there is also so much beauty in an ice storm...so much beauty in nature even though she can be harsh.  The struggle, the destruction...just reminds us of the beautiful fragility of life.  Pain reminds us not to take one second of this gift we have been given fro granted.
All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment