Sunday, August 18, 2024

Expanding the Mind's Focus

 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free

John 8:32 ESV

Spirituality, according to Michael Singer in this morning's podcast, is all about expanding our frame of reference. It is about using our impersonal  intellectal mind to get beyond the personal.

We have to remember that we are in this world, but not of it. We are just visiting "Disney land" and it is meant to be a wonderful, exilerating ride from which we learn and grow.  This "suffering" the way we do is not part of the plan.

Yes, we are meant to have our downs, our challenges, etc but that is just part of the ride.  It is those challenges from which we can expand and grow. 

We come down in a spacesuit...the body and personal mind ...but these things are just meant to help us navigate around and make the most of this experience. We are not them!! We are just using them.

The problem is we take this amazing consciousness and fixate it on the spacesuit and meeting its needs, on the personal mind and meeting its needs, and on the problems we believe this spacesuit and mind are having(that we actually collected and stored inside it)... to the point that it is all we are seeing and experiencing. Our Disney land which could be fun, exciting, and amazingly challenging in a positive way...becomes a dark little cave we cannot seem to find our way out of. 

You are here to learn, here to grow, here to go through your changes but your frame of reference got too small...eliminate your consciousness from its fixations 

We are not this space suit we are in.  It will surely die off at some point but who we are within won't. We are not this narrow personal mind that is staring down at such a limited amount of experience potential either. Mind is much more expanded. We are so close to "enjoying" the expanded experience. We just need to lift our eyes away from that which is pulling consciousness down.  

If the intellectual mind expands enough the step back into consciousness is a tiny one

We need to expand our frame of reference beyond little me...

You dont come down here to get what you want...you come down here to serve..."how can I help?" 

Sometimes, I think that is the answer for helping the ones I love who are suffering in their own dark caves: whisking them away somewhere where they do nothing but serve those in need. Hmm! How practical is that? 

I guess it would begin with asking them this question, "Who is in there thinking of themselves  as depressed or self loathing?  Who is in there believing they are trapped?" 

Until they are ready to go there and realize there is nothing higher than consciousness and that they are not the bodies and "disturbed minds" they see themselves as, what can I do?

Sigh! I feel helpless in serving them.

That is what my consciousness seems to be focusing on lately, narrowing its beam  down to the suffering around me. This human feels the pull downward and I begin to identify with the space suit and mind that is "me" again.  I see nothing but  their suffering.  I, as little me,  suffers

The only thing I can think to do besides the practical stuff that asks to be taken care of in every moment, is continue with my own practice of purifying...letting go of my resistance to what is, pulling back as much as I can and purposefully attempting to expand my consciousness.  I need to keep reminding myself of the very things I want to remind them of. 

I am not this spacesuit, I am simply in it, using it for an indefinite period of time. I am not this narrow focus of mind I am seeing through.  Consciousness is much bigger than that. I am in this world but not of it. 

Hmm!  I need to keep purifying.

The purified mind is no different than the Self...Ramakrishna

I wrote a poem years ago about this space suit.  I think I published it on this site. I will see if I can find it

All is well!

Michael A. Singer/ Temple of the Universe ( August 18, 2024)  Freedom: Expanding Your Perspective Beyond Yourself. https://tou.org/talks/



No comments:

Post a Comment