Sunday, January 19, 2020

Getting to Know Fear

If you do not get to know the nature of fear, you will never know fearlessness.
Pema Chodron

So as we begin to understand the teachings of a Course in Miracles which beautifully echoes many old, wise and trusted teachings like Buddhism, we come to realize how fear stands in our way of being truly at peace.

The premise of A Course is to take us from what is unreal to what is real by changing the way we think of the world, ourselves and each other. We need to let go of old habitual ways of thinking and reacting so we can open up to the moment and all it is, regardless of what form it is taking. Of course it takes a bit of courage to do that.  It takes courage to see how our mind needs healing and be willing to do so. What does healing involve?   A Course teaches  All healing is essentially the release from fear. ( ACIM-T-2:IV:1:7).

According to Buddhist teachers like Pema Chodron, it is fear that keeps us stuck in the past and that prevents us from moving from a state of narrow mindedness to an open understanding of the world, from rigidity in belief to flexibility and from resistance to accepting . (Pema Chodron, ) Being willing to look at the errors of our ways so we can open up and expand beyond the habitual mind takes more than a bit of courage. We need to be willing to face our fears.

I don't know how brave I am but I want to use my health experience as a medium for growth.  I want to be able to sit with the fear I feel, the mistrust and confusion and let go of any resistance I have to it.  I want to just allow it all to be.  It isn't easy...I am goofing up big time but I am confident with practice I can turn this fear ( maybe not into complete fearlessness lol but...) into something I can grow from.

All is well in my world.

ACIM

Pema Chodron (April 2017) The Noble Journey from Fear to Fearlessness . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t_SGso_1PY



No comments:

Post a Comment