Monday, September 23, 2019

Borrowed thought?

Borrowed thoughts, like borrowed money, only show the poverty of the borrower.
-Lady Marguerite Blessington

Hmm!  I have a question of a more practical and technical context.  What does it mean when one's statistics show a referring URL entitled "Plagscan" on more than one occasion?

Does that mean that someone is questioning the authenticity of my material?  I would not mind if that was the case. I mean...I know my citing may be more than a little sloppy at times but plagiarism is not something I would do.  In fact, one could ask my past students what ends I would take when I caught someone doing it. lol.  I was pretty tough when it came to not crediting someone for their thoughts or words. It is like "lying" or "stealing" to me.

Could it mean that someone has been taking my material and calling it their own?  My first thought to that is, "Why on earth?" lol  Then I find myself sincerely hoping that is not the case.  I would have to be pretty tough on those individuals too.  Not because I feel my words are "mine" and I need to cling to them possessively but because of the principal of the thing.  If I failed students for doing so, I would have to pursue any  copyright infringement  all out.

Oh my...this could just be a bunch of egoic paranoia? Maybe it is just a spam thing or a way to advertise?  I don't know.  I just got an unsettling feeling in my gut when I seen that referring site once again today. I don't know why but I did.

Hmmm!

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment