Sunday, November 4, 2018

Suffering


Only in our body, with its heart and mind, can bondage and suffering be found, and only here can we find true liberation.
-Buddha (https://www.azquotes.com/author/37842-Gautama_Buddha/tag/suffering)

There is so much perceived suffering in the world. I question why I am being reminded so acutely of that again and again lately.

I dealt with it last evening in another individual who remains in my son's life long after it is healthy for either of them and believe me when I say it isn't healthy. The pain I seen; the pain I heard and the pain I felt just sat in my chest like a ten ton brick.  I wanted to help but realized there was so little I could do but listen and make myself available. 

Not that I underestimate or diminish the healing power of true listening and presence but I had this overwhelming desire to take the pain away. We can't take the pain away from other people. We can absorb it though like I seemed to do. 

I got through the communication session well.  I played the part I have been self and professionally trained to play in these circumstances and I also staid sincerely present. I got through the rest of the day okay too but woke up at five feeling drained and yet not able to sleep. That experience was clinging to me like similar experiences do, making me feel so heavy. I felt so sad for her.  I felt so sad for him.  I just felt so very sad.

Then I asked the universe, "Why are you giving me this pain to witness on top of everything else?  What am I to do with this realization of suffering in others?"  I will ask the question again in meditation later on  and see what comes up.

It dawned on me that there is no such thing as coincidence and that everything happens for a reason so I know I am supposed to do something with this.  The 'doing' doesn't have to be anything elaborate or concrete but there is something. This suffering I witness is a part of my experience for a reason.

Maybe all I am to do is recognize, allow it and express my experience of it.  Or maybe I am to do something more grandiose and big.  I don't know.  I will keep ego down and out of the way until the directions for  inspired action comes.

One thing for sure though is there is a way through suffering whether we experience it directly or indirectly.  That healing takes place in the same place the suffering started... in the mind.

All is well in my world

No comments:

Post a Comment