Tuesday, November 13, 2018

More on the "I" and "Me" ness of Relating

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivating loving speech and compassionate listening in order to relieve suffering and to promote reconciliation and peace in myself and among other people, ethnic and religious groups, and nations.
-The Forth of the Buddhist precepts found in peace is every breath,Thich Nhat Hanh, 2011)

I counted close to 100 "I"s in yesterday's post.  Even in my attempt to get beyond "I", I  end up referring to "I" an awful lot.  There were a lot of "me" and "my" and "mine" as well throughout that entry( my eyes are bothering me too much today to count those). Hmmm! That's a lot eh? So much so I can  barely see after counting them.  And I am in the process of dismantling my attachment to that pronoun.  How many would we count if I wasn't? Scary...but that is how we relate to others.

Its funny, in the Communications class that I used to teach (sigh!) I stressed the importance of using that word "I" to help develop healthy assertive communication.  Now I am saying...maybe we are using it a bit too much.  It is probably important to first become assertive in our relating to others  (rather than non-assertive or worse aggressive) before we can take the next step up and beyond that to selfless. I will rationalize with that. The final  objective is, however, to get beyond the little "I" and the little "me" all together eventually. (Maybe not in this life time for most of us lol).

It is all good...just thought I would share that.  Won't write much today...eyes ( especially the left is aching and blurry...it is hard to write...probs should get that check but honestly believe it is senseless to complain about anything my body is doing with the hope of being taken seriously...yes...I just  sat my sorry butt back down on the pity pot lol...but I will get back up... as soon as the eye pain goes. Rgo promises it will only stick round til then :))

It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment