Monday, August 27, 2018


What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name will smell as sweet.
-William Shakespeare https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/william_shakespeare_125207

I used the G. word yesterday and I do understand how that word makes people uncomfortable. For some it speaks of religiosity and a metaphysical reality they may not subscribe to or want to tap into.  For others it speaks of a specific reverence that should not be used indiscreetly by people who do not revere in the same way they do.  And for many it has a specific relatable connotation and image attached to it that can easily be misunderstood and misused by others.  Therefore, it is a tricky word to use.

But the thing is...it is just a word!  It is just a name that does little justice to what is "meant" by it. did you know that there are many names other than this one used to describe the same thing?  In the Christian Bible alone there are many.  The Bible Encyclopedia stretches it a bit to say there are 956 names in the Bible alone.( https://christiananswers.net/dictionary/namesofgod.html) This doesn't count the other names used by other religions in other scriptures. The point is...it is just a name.

I am not saying that the essence, the Being...the meaning symbolized by the word is insignificant but the word is just a word. The name is just a label. As is the thought or "idea' attached to it in most of our minds. What It means or is, few of us really know and can describe with other words.  Yet we use one word and say "Aweeee...be careful with how you use it!"

This one three letter word itself causes so much controversy and concern. And when used as I used it yesterday may cause furrowed brows or raised eye brows above rolling eyes.

I may be perceived as completely crazy or weird for tapping into that word so flippantly and using it in an everyday blog entry as part of my everyday experience.  Using it in the way I did takes us way beyond the physical doesn't it, to something we cannot see or understand, to that realm where the crazy esoterically delusional  people go? It pulls us away from 'sensible' reality where people are just trying to get through their work day or to pay their mortgages. It takes us away from what most people would label as the only reality.

So it must be a "mental illness" or some strange quirk in  personality leading someone to discuss such things. Right? To use that word almost a dozen times in one blog entry means I am really "cra-cra!"

 Let's face it, people label when they are uncomfortable. They are uncomfortable dealing with weird, strange, different people or those who have a mental illness. My entry yesterday may have made people uncomfortable for that reason.  It is much easier to put the "weirdo" assumption on me than it is to deal with any possible truth hidden in my use of the word or what it triggers beyond the fear.

Or the reaction may be one of anger and condemnation.  "How dare she?"  My use of the word may differ from others' conditioned understanding of it or the images it creates in their minds when they use it. My use of it may be perceived as blasphemous or a blatant disregard for the reverence of it that others place on it. Every religious belief has a specific way of using that word and visualizing the meaning of it. Using it the way I did may be in the so called "New-thought" way may be perceived as  not only disrespectful of the imagined Being  behind the word but also of them...those who adhere to their conditioned beliefs. So many wars were based on trying to maintain this specific reverenced image the word symbolizes , weren't there?

It is a tricky word to use and the subject related to it is something people would rather not hear about anywhere but in the places where they spend their Sabbath day worship and only from ordained people given the right and honored distinction to use it. They definitely do not want to hear it from  "strange, mentally ill blasphemers" who write blog entries about the crazy notion of "waking up". How dare I?

Still I used it and I will continue to use it knowing full well the limitations of it. This word doesn't have the capability to describe and define the magnitude of the It  or the I Am...behind it.  No word does. But when I use it people, at least, know that I am talking about something amazing, divine, mysterious, invisible, powerful, and Life giving. I am talking about the "Everything" that creates "Everything".

So I use it and accept the rap for doing so.  It is definitely not my intention to disrespect "God" or others' belief systems and ideologies.  It is only my intention to understand what and who God really is.  This is how I do that!!

All is well.

Note:  I probably won't leave this up for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment