Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Labour And Preserving Life in A Jar

 There is only ten minutes to the life of a pear when it is perfect to eat.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Labour

I have been physically busy over the last few days on the weekend designed to give us a reprieve from labour lol. Though my body is tired and sore, missing the yoga I have been limited in doing because of this pain n my side, I put myself to work.  I love hard physical labor...that would shock all those who know of  my disdain for housework...but I do.  I love using my body for some useful purpose, putting it to task.  And though cleaning for myself is like a "I will get to it someday"...cleaning for others who are unable to because of their own physical and mental limitations is something I actually enjoy. So I cleaned the apartment downstairs while the tenants were away. I told Google  to play  my man "Bruce" ( Bruce Springsteen, in case you are wondering) and for hours each day I  worked along at what first  seemed to be an insurmountable task until everything was clean and tidy. It may not have helped the pain in my body, in fact it made it worse,  but it helped the discomfort in my mind.  I was not using this work as a distraction.  I was using it as a single point of focus. It was a wonderful mindfulness practice where I was not focused on outcome but on being there for each of the many steps needed.  I enjoyed it.  I enjoyed the finished product but had no real attachment to it.  I knew that it would not stay the way I left it for very long and I was perfectly okay with that as I shut the door behind me. I found joy and meaning in the actual labor. Strange, I know. 

Ten Minute Life Span?

Then I canned pears.  My pear trees were more than generous in their giving this year. The branches of one tree in particular, was drooping with the weight of its abundant harvest. I didn't want to ungratefully waste that harvest by allowing the fruit to just fall. Such a bounty was meant to be given away... so we decided to can. I never canned pears before so it required some research and learning.  I made a batch of what I call my "Soft and Sweet" pears...hot packed in a light syrup. And today I intend to make a big batch of what I will call my "Rustic pears" ...unpeeled, cold packed, with just a hint of sugar in the liquid for preservation purposes. These fruit, though seemingly imperfect, are so yummy and don't need added sweetness. I prefer peelings on fruit ( as long as they are free from chemicals) because of the extra fiber, minerals  and vitamins found in that. I want this batch to be as close to eating a pear directly from the tree as possible.  Imagine having that sensation experience in the middle of winter! It is like I am capturing the perfect moment in time and "stilling" it in a jar instead of in a photo.  Ultimate  savouring! I want as many people as possible to have that experience and my trees are making that easy. Of course, I will give away as much fresh fruit as I can but you know pears...they do not last long. So I will also busy myself canning, probably could make 36 jars of both kinds ...no problem ...and  will give most of them away. I love having this mini-purpose.

Inspiring me to make pickles and salsa too!!! It is a joy to take what nature offers, and using these bodies that were meant to labour, preserve and share its bounty.

All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment