Sunday, June 17, 2018

Ego & Photography

I will speak for a second about another ego  trip I took and learned from, not as a mother but as an amateur photographer.  Ego got in the way and my daughter did not get the pics she wanted. 

I do want to take great shots but I am a long way from that.  I decided to use this prom pic thing as a practice for what I am learning in the course I am taking.  I ran into some problems. I can't see...so I depend on Lightroom to help (I really cannot tell what kind of pic I got until I take them to Light room).  All pics I shoot also have to be processed there because I shoot raw.

In raw you capture  every colour under the rainbow, every crease, every snatch of light reflected off a heavily made up face to a shiny piece of fabric.  There are a lot of made up faces in an assortment of brightly coloured and shiny fabric on prom day lol, not to mention background creating an overload of "noise."  There is also too much top light and little to no top shade at 3-5 in the afternoon when most pics are taken.  Prom has to be a true photographer's night mare.

It takes skill and experience to handle such a challenge and I realize after the fact that I just have not mastered the techniques of photography enough yet to handle such a situation.  I should have shot in automatic and jpeg so she could just have some good snap shots. Instead I got arrogant and said to myself...I am going to get great professional looking images, not for her...for me.

Fail!  She depended on me to capture the moments with her friends and I  screwed up  with ISO and f stop so extra processing was required.   She hates processed pics.  My arrogant ego attempt to take great shots meant she was left with  shots she was not happy with. :(   

Shamer is having a field day  with that as well.  My bad. Let's pretend this was her reaction with the pics lol:

No comments:

Post a Comment