Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Lessons from a Fox

The fox changes his fur but not his habits.
-anonymous

I beg to differ with this quote.


Where we stayed on our night away...there was a fox.  She came out of nowhere by herself , all shabby and unkempt, going against her natural inclination to flee and hide...looking for something from us.   It was a desperate act.  We had ice-cream cones...and I would not recommend feeding any wild animal ice cream or any junk food...but it is what we had and she looked hungry.  It was obvious by how close she got that she was somehow humanized and would not be chasing down any small rabbits to feed the fam' that night. She was living off the crap people fed her.  

 

So we gave her a piece and she just sat there and silently called out to the bush.  That is when the first kit came and we watched as it picked up the ice-cream and walked away. Though she looked like she was in desperate need for food...she was only looking for her kids sake. She did what she could to find food for her kits, even if it was uncomfortable for her. She sacrificed self for litter.


When we saw the three other kits later on, my heart broke.  D. and I rushed off to the grocery store to buy fresh meat ( the closest thing to her natural diet we could think to get for her). We laid it out, in hope she would find it.  It was gone in the morning so, as meager as the  offering was, hopefully she and her children got at least one good feed of protein. We also discovered that she lived under the deck of a nearby cabin. She is living in man's world, dependent on man in all his unpredictable and unconscious behaviours to provide for her and her family.



 I somehow connected with this fox, seen myself in her some how. Not that I deserve any rewards for martyrdom as she seemed too.  I just have been in a situation where I too was left to care for my four children when I was perceiving illness and dependent on the unconscious behaviours of man...I too had to step out of my comfort zone and "beg" for support.  Where as she got the  support, I never did. And maybe...that was for the best. Without that support I found myself striving to do what felt natural for me. ...I found myself  on my way back to where I belong.  As long as the fox gets fed and supported with unhealthy means...she will not find her way back to living off nature the way she was meant to.

I don't know but once again ego had to have a say, didn't it?  I had to make this fox scenario about me somehow lol.  Well, it is all about "I" if not "me" ...we are all connected, are we not?  Whether we have fur or skin; living under a cabin or in a bungalow, hungry or well fed; or  dependent on the kindness of others or in a position where we can help...we are all connected. Hmmm!

This fox did what she could, despite her conditioning, to provide for her family. She changed her habits.  It was a selfless maternal act, something to learn from. We can all change our habits and natural instincts for something greater...to serve each other.

So much to learn.

 
All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment