Thursday, April 5, 2018

Tolle's Wisdom


Tolle's Wisdom

After dealing with another mini-crisis yesterday, I found myself searching for understanding and solutions. I didn't like where I was or my present moment. So I turned on Eckhart Tolle videos from my computer(more as a distraction than anything else), sat up straight in my rocker with a candle burning to the side of me, closed my eyes and I just listened. There were moments as I sat there, that  what was said just resonated in me so I wrote down the words on a pad I had close by.  Other words I just recalled from memory ( loosely paraphrased) and jotted them down afterwards. My Tolle binge never made the situation go away, didn't change the "isness" of the moment but it certainly changed my approach to it. The wisdom found in his words touched something inside me.  What he said brought me back to something I already knew at some level of my being.  I am grateful for that and for him.

Hung Up on the Messenger?

As I have mentioned several times before ...I am always weary about our human reaction to spiritual teachers.  Sometimes we get more hung up on the messenger than we do the message.  Other times we feed egos that should never be fed when we "follow' someone.  (Theirs and our own). We do need to be careful.

I am not idolizing Tolle and I do not follow his teachings like so many follow those of  Jesus, Buddha or Muhammad.  I am not putting him on that level. I am not stepping into some cult like frenzy either, viewing him as a leader I am inclined to follow.  I honestly do not believe that is what he wants...he truly seems so egoless...well as egoless as a human being can be.  I don't know that for sure but that is what he seems to be.  

The Teacher and the Lesson

I think he has an amazing gift...a God inspired one...to teach what needs to be taught.  When you watch him speaking there is this honesty and simplicity that cannot be faked coming from him. He is not an idol, a cult leader or even a Master or Guru maybe.  To me, he is just a great teacher with a great message we all need to hear ( when we are ready). His message makes so much sense to me and I am grateful for him sharing it in the apparently egoless way he does.

These words came from  several video snippets that just streamed one after the other so I can not cite each one.  I used  Eckhart Tolle 2018 as the search engine and allowed whatever to come up, come up.

These are the words I walked away with yesterday and I believe in each of them is a message that needs to be shared.  They are just words, ideas, mental constructs and in themselves mean nothing...but what they point to is something we all can benefit from. So after I finish with the last two lessons of my disorganized teaching plan....I would like to take each quote or paraphrased thought of his and expand on it a little bit as I learn what it truly means to my wise Self.  ( That is not ego speaking lol...we all have a "wise Self" within...actually we all have the One Wise Self within...well that is a topic for another time. )

The Words

You are not what happens, you are the space around what happens.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.(Buddha)

All you can know about yourself is what you are not.

You can not know the knower, you can only be the knower.

It is the movement of thought that is the momentum behind the search for more.

When the sense of self is invested in thinking, thought becomes problematic.

The "miracle" happens when we renounce our attachment to thought and make the shift away from it to focus on the awareness and presence. We find ourselves being here as the field of awareness  rather than as the person.  (loosely paraphrased)

Suchness, according to the Buddha, is the unproblematic expression of the totality of the One. 

When you can be without the need to think, space around thinking emerges. The universal consciousness is suddenly there, waiting to flow through this form that you identify as you. (loosely paraphrased. )

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment