Sunday, July 30, 2017

Walking the Way

In every walk with nature man receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

Want to go for a  Nice Long Walk?

Have you ever wanted to complete a pilgrimage somewhere, for some higher reason that wanting feet full of blisters and a few photo ops?

I have had dreams ever since I was small of me walking, and walking, and walking...I was heading somewhere but in my dreams I never knew where.  I just knew I had some important place to go but more importantly I knew every step I was walking counted.  I wrote a poem about those walks when I was 18 or 19  entitled The Journey.  I am not sure if I have a copy of it anywhere now but it spoke of the importance of each step as opposed to the destination.  Hmm!

I watched the documentary on Netflix last evening about  12 men (significant and traditionally very Catholic lol) who walked the Way of Saint James in Spain...550 miles over something like 40 days. I got inspired again.  Man... if I don't stop getting inspired  my head is going to spin like a top right off of my shoulders. lol



Putting Aside the  "I Can't" ?

I would love to do something like that...but I am thinking of reasons why I can't instead of reasons why I can.  The big can't comes in my body limits....I tell myself that my heart won't let me walk that distance especially up steep inclines and in high altitudes.  Secondly, I tell myself if I bring my camera I will never get to my destination in 40 days ...I would be stopping and clicking every mile lol...I am not sure I could curb my obsession enough to focus on the steps. Thirdly, my present financial situations does not allow for flights to Europe lol.

Yet ...I would love what I imagine a pilgrimage does...puts you in present moment, in the here and now, in nature, in quiet, and brings you inside!!! It is a spiritual feat not a physical one.  It is healing and life expanding. 

Which way would I go if I could?  Though I would love to see that part of Spain in the way of Saint James...I would be more inclined to walk the Way of Saint Francis because I relate to him more.  Of course...it is much more of a steep way...less than ticker friendly. 

I tell myself ...if there is a will, there is a way.  I would like to find that way...I would like to find my way.  Hmmm!  Something to think about.

Side Note about Motivation

Oh...I am writing, btw, an article on Pensee 139 and sitting still.  It is coming slowly because I get more and more fascinated with Pascal's thinking as I read...connecting dots that seem to connect so well in my mind but possibly nowhere else. lol.

Sent another article out somewhere without adhering to the writer's guidelines...to query first.  I just felt compelled to send it out as is.  So I did...I am usually so good about the etiquette of submitting...but not yesterday lol. 

It is all good.  Things will be as they are meant to be.

All is well in my world.

Check these out:
http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-story/way-st-francis-walking-550-kilometers-along-one-worlds-greatest-pilgrimages

https://www.backroads.com/trips/WSTI/portugal-spain-walking-trip?c=w&p=D486&se=google&st=&adca=Europe%20Walking%20Tours&adgr=way%20of%20st%20james%20Walking%20Tours&gclid=COK9qO2UsdUCFRC5wAod5ZABog



No comments:

Post a Comment