Sunday, July 23, 2017

Ease or Dis-ease

When you do not know the joy of being at absolute  ease with yourself, you are in dis-ease.  It is only a matter of time before it becomes physiological.
Sadhguru

So many of us are on the search for the ultimate experience.  We want joy, bliss, ecstasy.  Yet, we haven't got a clue how to simply be at ease; how to sit quietly with ourselves without doing, thinking, planning, fretting over the past or  being worried about the future.  We want to skip  over all that to get to that feeling of completeness' and wonder why it is so challenging, why we get sick.

Are you at ease?

How many moments a day do you experience ease? Can you sit in nature for five minutes without thinking, narrating in your mind, worrying, regretting or resenting, wondering about the time and what you have to get back to...just totally focused on being. That is ease and so many of us find it challenging.

I found it challenging and still do at times I obviously haven't experienced enough ease over the course of my life...thus my getting sick.  I was always a little wound up ball of doing and thinking.  There I was on a mission to find  the meaning of spirituality and awakening but I couldn't even  uncurl myself from my knots ( and my 'nots').

I have learned to seek awakening in increments.

The Steps to Finding Ease
  • First I had to slow down and stop doing (the dis-ease helps me with that actually but I still slip all the time :));
  • I had to learn to pay attention to what was going on in me and around me
  • I had to pay attention to the information my senses were giving me...observe the world before me without judgment...just look, listen, smell, feel, and taste it
  • I had to learn to breathe and just focus on breath rather than trying to control it like I tried to control so many things in my life
  • I had to be aware of what my body was saying.  Was there pain anywhere?  Discomfort?  A Pleasant feeling?
  • Then  I had to be aware of what I was thinking and feeling
  • I had to become aware of my thoughts as something that did not define me so I could detach
  • Next I had to be willing to feel what I was feeling in the present moment regardless of what it was.  I had to recognize what thought caused the  feeling
  • I then had to work on the thinking through some good old fashioned cognitive restructuring and rational emotive therapy (it is great to have a psychology background...I can make something so simple like "changing the way I think" sound so exciting)
  • I had to become aware of how every minor change of thought made me feel...to ensure I was feeling better at least and moving up the emotional ladder
  • The big one was accepting what was as it was in the moment I was in ( still need to work on that one :))
  • I had to learn to close my eyes and just stay there for a bit, detaching from the world around me that I thought was real....to allow the experience...if thoughts came in...well I let them be and watched them as they did their thing before taking off again.
  • I learned to detach (well I am still learning that one), observing what is happening in my mind and body from a distance.)
  • Then I began to feel ease.  At least for 20 minutes, twice a day I feel ease.  It is slowly infiltrating into other moments of my life but I still have some work to do.
I am making it my mission now to find ease.  No matter what is going on in me or around me I want to be okay with it...to be at ease! From there I will find the peace, the joy, the bliss and the ultimate experience of Love I write about in my book.

It is all so very good.  It may not be easy but it is very, very doable.

If I can revert the process of dis-ease into ease than anybody can.  How is that for amazing?

All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment