Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Field

...you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2, ESV)

There is a field in the midst of the woods where D. and I walk our dogs. 

It is just an ordinary field used for hay and grazing horses from a nearby stable.  One could walk through it without noticing anything special about it.







Up until last year the four wheelers and dirt bikes ran through it as the riders, constantly in search of some excitement...something more... but never quite fulfilled enough... left big  scars and lifeless chunks in its fragile earth.  This year the owner closed the gates to all but the few hikers that walk there and the horses who are now never hungry.

The field is healing itself.



When I need a quick rejuvenation fix, a reminder about the healing power in all of us, I strap on my Asics, grab the dogs, my man, my camera and head out to that simple, ordinary field.

When I am sad, feeling my life is dreary and colorless I walk along the grassy path as the dogs pant and run beside us.  My world becomes filled with colour once again.

When I need a little laughter or a reminder of the joy that exists in this very moment...I watch with a smile on my face as the dogs run, hop and skip through the tall grass, wagging their tails, absolutely  delighted in just being.



When I, feeling overwhelmed by my attempt to understand the apparent chaos in my own little world,  wonder why nothing seems to make sense...I walk through the disorganized and random  growth of wild flowers and tall grass where everything suddenly does make sense.  I realize with amazement that everything is in perfect order in its own apparent chaos. 



When I know I am moving too fast, doing too much...getting lost in ego's push for more...I stand by the fence where the beautiful horses graze.  I watch as their magnificent heads kiss the earth in reverence and gratitude.  They pull the growth from it gently without struggle because it is given to them gently without struggle. 

These magnificent beasts that can run and move and work like no human can still themselves in reverence for what nature provides...what life entails.  I am filled with peace as I watch them.

(These are not the horses from the field.  They are my sister's horses filling in. lol)

When my body is tired and wanting nothing more than to be understood...I stand or sit amongst the buzzing life I find there, in that little field. I breathe as if for the first time all day.  With my lens as my eye I then capture what I can to remind me just how much life is around me and in me.

When I need to remember what it is all really about...I walk along that trail in the golden light of evening...running my hand through the tall dancing  daisies that reach out their elegant arms to welcome me...and I somehow know.




Life is perfect just the way it is right here and right now.

All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment