Thursday, September 3, 2026

Awareness Chooses fromTwo Perspectives on Consciousness

 I define consciousness as awareness with a choice. 

Thomas Campbell


I like Mayim Bialik's (and Jonathon's) podcast because I love the way it integrates science with what is often referred to as "woo-woo". It is attempting to determine if  the gap between materialism and spiritualism can be bridged...seeking, of course, as much empirical evidence as it can find to do that while staying open to that which is not yet understood.. .It deals with the hard question that has been filling my inquiring mind for years- consciousness. 

Anyway, I listened to two podcasts back to back yesterday, each interviewing physicists with totally different perspectives when it comes to how they see the hard question of consciousness.  Dr. Liu who is very much a materialist and Thomas Campbell who is very much a non-materialist . I found my now somewhat biased mind gravitating to Thomas Campbell. (What he had to say intuitively resonated with me even though the scientific part of my mind resisted).  But I made myself sit and listen to the rationals shared by the other's materialistic perspective. The scientific part of my mind agreed with his statements, but my heart resisted big time. 

My gut, not my mind, is telling me that consciousness is fundamental and exists outside of matter.  It is not merely a function of the brain. this has become a "conviction". I think it would be hard for someone to convince me otherwise. Why do I choose his view over the other? Because it feels so much better to this awareness with a choice within me. 

Thomas Campbell has thusly convinced me , without asking me to, to pick up his books "My Big Toe".  I am intrigued. This awareness is making a choice. 

All is well.

Mayim Bialik's Breakdown (September, 2026) Near Death Experiences, Telepathy, and the Multiverse: An Astrophysicists Explains.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqoGDc_O-Uo

Mayim Bialik's Breakdown (August, 2026) Reality is Not Real: NASA Physicist:How to Exit the Simulation..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAyTpN5v5jU

No comments:

Post a Comment