Friday, March 1, 2024

Yoga: The Supreme Goal

As the sun lights up the world, the Self dwelling in the field [the body] is the source of light in the field. Those with the eye of wisdom distinguish the field from its Knower and the way to freedom from the bondage of prakriti [world of form which includes thoughts, feelings, preferences, samskaras], attain the  supreme goal. 

The Gita (Chapter 13:33)

Yoga or union is the supreme goal. In order to attain yoga/union with Self we  must be able to see the distinction between the Knower and the known. We must also be able to see the way to freedom by recognizing what is blocking us or keeping us in bondage.  Our attachment to the body, to our thoughts and feelings, our dramas as "little me" keep us from  attaining the supreme goal.

A yogi, then, is anyone who sees the truth of this statement and begins the practice path towards this freedom whether this goal is attained in this lifetime or not.They make purification of these bondages/blockages priority.  I have committed myself to this path and that is why I call myself a yogi.

Synchronicity

I get blown away again and again by the like mindedness of yogis. Just yesterday I randomly answered two questions from the jar. One on relaxing anxiety and the other on "Why do you call yourself a yogi?" Then when I came to my morning practice today, which included listening to yesterday's podcast from Michael Singer,  I hear him  speak to this idea of what a yogi is. And I am like wow.  (He also addresses what I spoke about in my other video about relexing self, not the emotional energy that is disturbing self.) Exact same topics/ same timing. Coincidence or serendipity? The practical mind says coincidence or "you just subconsciously regurgitated what you learned from him etc". The wiser mind of the yogi (not that I am wise yet...lol) says," no there is more to this".

I am not saying  some metaphysical woo-woo is going on here...but I believe  there is an interconnectiveness to consciousness. I am not alone in believing this. Have you ever looked into studies done on synchronicity like  Carl Jung's psychology studies, Sheldrake's "morphic resosonance" in  biology studies, Ernzt Lazlo's  "chaos theory" or Bohm's studies in physics on the "holographic cosmos"?  Synchronicity/ serendipity is more than mere coincidance. How does it work? Consciousness is universal.

 A yogi is someone who studies consciousness ....and there is only One consciousness we all share.  So, really it isn't that far fetched that what we write and speak about , as yogis ( myself a very underdeveloped one at this point)  lines up so perfectly, so frequently, is it? I am truly not "copying" him. Whatever comes out of me comes out spontaneously and authentically.  There is no doubt his words and his teachings are in me as I assimilate all I learn. He has helped me to understand my practice so much better but what I say or put out here comes from some place deep within me.  It really does. So, I cannot help but believe that him speaking about what I just spoke about isn't woo-woo but it is more than mere coincidence. 

Regardless, this is why I call myself a yogi:





All is well.

Note: My spell/grammar check is off her for some reason.  I type so fast there is bound to be many typos. Sorry.

The Bhagavad Gita as translated by Eknath Easwaran (The Blue Mountain Center of Meditation, 2007) Kindle Edition

Michael A. Singer/Temple of the Universe ( February 29, 2024) No Growth Without Change. https://tou.org/talks/


No comments:

Post a Comment