Saturday, March 9, 2024

Mastering the Bell; Inviting the Sound of Presence

 Om Mani Padme Hum

Popular Buddhist Mantra 

The above chant as I probably mentioned many times before  means , "Praise to the jewel in the lotus,"referring to the Divine within us all. 

I was reminded of that today upon listening to an old video with Thich Nhat Hanh from 2013.  In this video he was speaking to the idea of becoming a "Bell Master"...a person who rings the bell before, during, and after a dharma talk or practice .  I was introduced to the bell upon viewing the dharma talks from  Plum Village many years ago and have developed a deep respect for them and their meaning.  I was since gifted a lovely singing bowl and have been  learning to make it sing so I could use it during my yoga practice.  I can make it sing. I am, however, more intrigued by the prospect of using it as a bell  because I love how simply waiting for and then  listening to the rising and dissolving of each bell sound  brings me right back into the present moment. I couldn't understand why it had that effect on me until I listened to the below video. 

In the nonviolent language of Zen, the initiation of sound is referred to as "inviting the bell to sound" rather than striking or hitting the bell. I find that choice of words so soothing. Before beginning the bell a master must be centered and peaceful. A mantra/gatha can be used to ensure this peace:

In Breath: Body, space, mind in perfect oneness

Out Breath: I send my heart along with the sound of this bell.

In Breath: May the hearers awaken from their forgetfulness

Out Breath: and transcend  through the path of anxiety and sorrow. 

The bell is invited to ring three times at the beginning and ending of the session. It begins with a half sound to warn hearers that a full sound is about to happen very soon. This is done to prepare both the bell master and the hearer for the full sense of  the complete  sound. We need to stop talking, stop the body, stop the thinking to receive the full sound of the bell ( the voice of the Buddha). Hearers are given a ten second preparation time which equates to one full consciosu breath: four seconds for breathing in; six  seconds  for breathing out. 

Then the master invites the first full sound. With the full sound, everyone has the opportuinity to breathe in and out three times

"I listen...I listen.....I listen," on the in breath. And on the out breath "This wonderful sound brings me back to my true home."

The Bell Master is very conscious and considerate about giving the hearer enough time and space to receive and absorb each full sound of the bell. The time span from when the bell is first stroked to the time the next invitation for full sound occurs allows hearers three deep in breaths and three deep out breaths, followed by a ten second pause. 

I am going to practice this for the sheer joy of inviting and receiving the bell sound, as well as for being able to offer that healing invitation for presence to others.

All is well. 

Thich Nhat Hanh/ Quentin Genshu ( 2020?) How to Really Be Yourself All the Time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdlqUt3PfaY&t=1s


No comments:

Post a Comment