Tuesday, December 27, 2022

An Idea of Christmas

 My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others.  Come to think of it, why do we have to wait until Christmas to do that?

Bob Hope

It has been a few days since I wrote here. Christmas, sick loved ones, the need to provide care so others could get the care they needed, and getting swept away by the momentum of an intention gone wrong ( our commercialized and  much too busy version of Christmas) ...has left me with little room to just sit and breathe. As a result, my body was unable to defend itself in its naturally inherent way against the bugs flying around.  Other than the hour I spent visiting my daughter yesterday...I slept for almost 20 hours straight. Sigh!  I long for my hatha/pranayama practice and to be able to assist others who also need a post Christmas recovery  practice but fear my body will not let me. Still not 100%. 

I did it again.  I allowed my clenched jawed, tight fisted, and tensed up self to get swept away by something that makes absolutely no sense to me anymore.  Every year it makes less and less sense yet I participate in consumerism, materialism, adding unnecessary burdens to our planet, and a busyness that totally contradicts the quiet stillness of "Silent Night". I tell myself and others on Boxing Day every year..."Okay next year is going to be different!" ...only to find myself caught up in the current again and again when the season rolls around, doing the same thing I did the year before. 

I am not a grinch.  I love to celebrate Christ's presence on earth. I love to celebrate love and getting together and giving and compassion. I love "peace on earth and good will to men!" Making up a day to focus on doing that is okay with me. I just don't like what our culture has done with all that...how it got all twisted around so there is so little peace .  You know? 

Anyway, all in the learning.  I do hope you were able to find some peace and joy  this season and will continue to discover that peace and joy within yourself in the year ahead.

Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment