Sunday, February 14, 2021

Face It! Sit With It!

 You only fear what you don't face, and what you don't face will control you.

Wayne Dyer

I am trying to sit with difficult emotions.  It isn't easy, especially when there is so many emotions at once. I sat through a guided meditation today entitled, "Sitting with Difficult Emotions," but I found myself struggling when they asked us to think of "one" particularly distressing situation that we have encountered recently.  I am like, "One? ...Which one do I start with? "

I am perceiving that I am struggling because there is just so much on my plate.  Tough there is a hundred different emotions jammed up inside me, the three chief emotions I feel are "Overwhelm", "worry",  and "powerlessness"...and these tie in somehow to all the situations. 

D. said to me today as we sat at the table with our tea and coffee, "You shouldn't worry!" 

I am like, "Yeah?  You think?"  

Then I heard myself saying, "But I am worrying.  I am feeling stress, right now...and a sense of 'overwhlem'.  The many crazy situations on my plate  are  in our experience right now...this is what Life is offering me/us. Do I turn my back on them and pretend they are not there...or do I turn toward them and face them and ask them "What would you have me do?" 

He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.  

I didn't need him to answer. I know that if I don't face these life events, this feelings and judgments ...they will haunt me and control me until I do. My  meditation practice for the next little while, then,  will involve me  sitting with this component of life. 

I turn around to face it and I make my peace with it!  

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment