Sunday, November 8, 2020

Detaching From Body Noise

 Life is a tide, float on it.Go down with it, and go up with it, but be detached. Then it is not difficult. 

Prem Rawat 

Another Body Issue...Really? 

This is so uncanny.  It sounds even unbelievable to me as I write this, as I have been writing about body messages. My back went  out again!  I mean it is something that usually happens once or twice a year but I think it has been well over a year since it last went out ( thanks to my revamped yoga practice). It is not completely out...I can still weight bear and walk, albeit slowly. ...but it is definitely spasming...a sign that it is going. 

It just seems so uncanny because I have been talking about all the things that go on in my body...and I know it sounds like too much to be true or at least too much to be anything but a hypochondriac's psuedo reality.  But I can assure you, after careful consideration of the possibility, that I am not a hypochondriac. Not that there would be anything 'wrong' or 'bad' if I were. 

Physical Reason

The physical world reason for the aggravation of  a long time issue with unstable spine and its support, has probably alot to do with "stress' and a less frequent yoga practice creating muscle tension in back support muscles and a weakening of core muscles.  The core muscles are essential to ensuring proper alignment of the spine, especially in someone with a back issue.  These muscles are usually somehow weakend when we experience back pain leading to an overcompensation in other muscles.  Also...we right now ...don't have a couch and are watching TV from the floor which is no big del... many, many people do the same all over the world.  My body, like many western bodies,however, has become too conditioned to couches and the like.  So the back is out! 

Timely and No Big Deal

What is cool about my back  going out now , is that it is timely, considering how I was wanting to write about how I am learning to think that the  outer world circumstances I encounter...are no big deal. I am at the part of this journey when I can sincerely , for the most part, detach from these circumstances.  It is like I am learning to look at them as "passing clouds" over a blue sky.  I am spending less and less of my mental energy analyzing, narrating, talking about them or making story about 'me'  around these circumstances.  

Detached

I mean, I still have a big fat ego...sometimes it comes in and makes a mess of the way I respond to these circumstances but it is coming in less and less. And the time frame between its reactivity and my awareness of its reactivity is also getting shorter and shorter.  So if a circumstance comes up,  I am less likely to react to it in an ego way. If I do react, it doesn't take long before I realize I have been reacting. I am then better able to pull myself back and create distance between what is going on in my life and my experience of Life.  So cool! 

So as we contemplate the importance of experiencing Life through the body and the appearance of what seems to be "body noise"or some malfunctioning in the body...this ability comes in to play.  I can see me listening to the back pain, aware of it, but at the same time that I am accepting of it, I am detached from it.  The back pain has no effect on who I really am beyond the body. Mind doesn't have to come in and build story around it.  There is no need, then,  to add the second arrow of 'suffering' to  any pain we may experience...or to any life circumstance that shows up. 

So What?

So...the back going out isn't something I would have asked for...so what?  So...it isn't pleasant...so what? So it seems to add  more challenge in getting around, more challenge in my day to day experience...so what? So it will cause some limitation in my yoga practice and my teaching for now...so what? Like really, so what?

If our major objectives now as a human beings  is to realize Self, a bit of physical pain and limitation can not deter us. ...If anything  challenges like this will take us there faster.

So life throws these 'adverse' circumstances of varying degrees  in our direction...one after the other...we  no longer cry out, "Why me?  This is so unfair.  It shouldn't be!" .  Instead, we can, like I  find myself  doing, curiously respond with , "Hmm! Isn't that interesting.  I wonder why that showed up. I wonder what I am supposed to learn from this." 

We know what ever it is we encounter as circumstance will not last for ever.  Like all things it will come and it will go. We can  do our best to patiently observe without becoming attached to it or its outcome. 

When it leaves and we feel the joy of relief, we might find ourselves asking, "What will Life bring me next?"

I am not sure about you, but I am almost  to the point, that I can't wait to find out.

How cool is that?  

All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment