Thursday, March 8, 2018

Hearing the Vibration of Life

A Moment's Indulgence
I ask for A moment's Indulgence to sit by thy side.  The works
 I have in hand I will finish afterwards.
 
Away from the site of thy face my heart knows no rest or respite,
and my work becomes an endless toil in an endless sea of toil.
 
Today the summer has come to my window with its sighs and murmurs; and
the bees are plying their minstrelsy at the court of the flowering grove.
 
Now, it is time to sit face to face with thee, and to sing
dedication to life in this silent overflowing leisure.
 


Becoming aware of the vibrations of life

Something strange has been happening to my hearing lately. Just as my physical eyes no longer see as clearly as they used, no matter what types of lenses I put over them...my hearing has changed.  I am becoming more and more aware of a vibrating hum and less and less aware of certain high pitched noises.  Okay, okay...I know...there is a physical cause.  I have taught pathophysiology for enough  years to know that.  The books would define  the changes as good old presbycusis and presbyopia (the visual and hearing changes associated with "old age".) The humming itself could be tinnitus.

Something tells me otherwise, that the sensory changes I am experiencing are more a result of waking up than getting older.

Say what crazy lady?

It sounds crazy I know but my eye sight has changed dramatically only since I started closing my eyes more to look inward.  Almost as if to say, I do not need that type of outward sight as much anymore.

My hearing well, it is more than tinnitus.  This humming is not one bit annoying.  It is actually very, very soothing and pleasant.  And it is not that my hearing is less acute. It seems that I am hearing the vibrations of life that exist beneath the cacophony of superficial physical world noise.  I can get beyond the high pitched shrills of action to the constant soothing  hum of beingness.

I seem to hear everything humming if I focus: the machinery around me, appliances, my computer, my pets,  and the resonance from all the voices directed at me. Each thing has a different and distinct hum that melts into all the other hums. And there is something inside me I have never noticed before  humming sweetly all the time. It has always been there but I am just noticing it, appreciating it and embracing it for the first time. 

Everything is Vibration

Everything is vibration...absolutely everything. 

If you want to know the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.
Nikola Tesla (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/361785-if-you-want-to-find-the-secrets-of-the-universe)

We cannot hear that vibration.  We can not feel that vibration as long as we are running around focusing on other things; as long as we are doing and lost in our thinking.  It is only when we learn to stop and be still that we hear it and we experience it.

Yesterday afternoon was the first time I experienced it fully.  I was just finishing up some writing, pretty pleased with myself that I created something...that I had that wonderful experience of having that creative flow, Source, Energy, The  field, Muse...whatever you want to call it... flow through me and I heard it.  I heard it first coming from the computer...it just seemed so loud suddenly  grabbing my attention; then I heard it resonating in the gaps between my old dog's snoring; and in the lights above my head.  And I stopped and closed my eyes to hear an even sweeter hum coming from me...crackly, staticky but perfect...like the distant buzz of insects...cicadas or bees in a grove.  The more I listened, the louder it got. I found myself smiling, than laughing for no explicable reason.

Is this what Tagore felt?

 I don't know how long it lasted.  When it was over I got up quickly to make sure no one seen me in my solitary laughing frenzy lol and then I thought of Tagore's poem.  It made  even more sense to me.  Tagore spoke about this hum in A Moment's Indulgence.  All the sighs and murmurs were, I believe, the little sounds that so often go unnoticed when we are caught up in our "toil". These bees plying their minstrelsy in the court of the flowering grove...were they the buzzing vibration of life and was the flowering grove the awakening that was taking place inside of him?

Oh well, we will never know.  But we do not need to know other's experience and understanding of things, do we? We just need to know our own which is actually the One Truth we all share.  And how do we truly know?  By going inward to the silence and the stillness of the now, to the only place where we truly see and truly hear.

How cool is that?


References

Good reads quotes (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/361785-if-you-want-to-find-the-secrets-of-the-universe

Poem Hunters (https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-moments-indulgence/)



No comments:

Post a Comment