Friday, March 30, 2018

Grandiosity or Grandeur? What Will You Choose?


The grandiosity of the ego is its alternative to the grandeur of God.  Which will you choose?
ACIM Chapter 9: VIII:1:6-7

It is raining outside and it feels like spring.  With a head full of useless ego thoughts, I open the door and I feel the spring air on my face. I hear the melody of robin song everywhere.  My head clears if just for a moment. How, I absolutely love to feel and hear that life out there. It makes everything right. :).  I do want everything to be right but what is right? Ego tells me one thing and Spirit tells me another.

What is right for the Ego?

Ego tells me that I am separate and alone in a problem-filled world and I have to make the best of things with the little I got. It tells me it is "right" to  ensure I am "safe" by creating walls and defenses around myself.  I have to "attack" before I am attacked. It is right for me to put my energy into creating borders and weapons, and competing to achieve whatever I can from the scarce and limited offerings of this world of fear.  It tells me I  need to work hard to achieve success, relationships that fill in the holes of my being, recognition, material abundance, status, ownership and control of what is around me. I need to do in order to make right what is inherently wrong with me. It tells me it is right to prioritize the doing over being, because my being is faulty and broken.  It tells me not to waste my physical and mental energy on silly things like "robin song" when I should be, like any good Army Colonel, planning and actively participating in a strategy for winning or at least surviving the battles of tomorrow. It tells me to push forward with all my might...  to do, do,do until I can do no more.  No pain, no gain is ego's mantra.

 Not pretty is it?

What is right for Spirit?

Spirit on the other hand, tells me to stop and listen to the magic of life that is all around me and in me, to be still and to just know...all I need to know before I get lost in doing. It tells me to put down my weapons and my strategic plans.  It assures me I don't need them because there is nothing out there that can harm the Self I really am.   It tells me to stop clinging to things that will never fulfill me and turn inward to the light that will. It tells me to just be and let life be what it is. It is after all, a world of Love.Relax, is Its mantra.

Hmmm...which one  do you think I should listen to? Which will you choose?

Do nothing from selfish ambition, or conceit but in humility count others as more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only on your own interests, but also on the interests of others.
Philippians: 2:3-4

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment