Friday, August 2, 2019

Great poems end with a click of a well made box.
William Butler Yeats (Well it is debated if he said that exactly like that :))

Hmmm! Sometimes I hear a click...and many times I don't. 

The word "great" in writing is a very subjective thing and it doesn't mean that what was created was"publishable" or loved by the masses.  I believe it is more about resonating a certain truth...telling a story about what is "real" beyond the obvious.....touching a core inside, even if that thing touched is only inside the writer itself.  It touches the core of humanity ...somehow....reminding us of who we are.

I am not saying my poems are "great".  I am not saying my poems are "awful".  I am okay with "mediocre"...especially in the poetry.  I have learned not to judge them because I really, really do not think I have much to do with it at all. 

When it comes to poetry, I just sit with an urge and allow whatever is meant to come out... come out. It is not mine...so if it "sucks" according to others, I am okay with it.  I will feel "good" about it when I read it back after it was written and say, "Yes! that does speak a certain truth I was not completely aware of."  That's all.

So I do not put my poems up here, as imperfect as they are, to be critiqued or exalted...I put them up because this blog is about truth and so is poetry. I hear a click maybe that others will never hear and that is okay.

All is well

[Writing is]waiting on the edge of attention for a voice to appear...it is one continuous non-stop meditation.
Stephen Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment