Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Poetry is Grace

I found this from a way back and felt compelled to share it as I meditate and write of Grace. 

I have so many poems tucked away.  I really do need to do up a chap book, even if I publish it myself...not for the ego or any guise of having 'talent' but for what the words teach. Lessons just flow through me when I write poetry...things I am not even aware I am thinking about come from this part of me that isn't me.  It is a lovely mysterious process that I am grateful for.  Poetry itself is Grace.



Grace

 
I set the table with a clean linen cloth,

its corners crisp and ready.

The china reserved for special occasions

is laid  down in an inviting fashion

with the bowls big and deep,

waiting to be filled up.

 

Crystal stem ware twinkles in the candlelight,

casting beautiful speckles of light over

the polished silver.

In the center,

I place a vase of perfect roses,

smiling, happy hosts,

content to be exactly what they are. 
 

I sit myself down at the table I set for her

and I wait for Grace to arrive.

I am ready.
 
 
 
The First Course

 

In she comes,

a vision of angelic loveliness,

effortlessly carrying

the first course of understanding.

Her gowns billow behind her

as she moves forward

in fluid strides.

The past that once clung to her hem

slips off easily

and disappears into nothingness

as she sets down the first course

in the now .

 

I call my brother to me

to join in this festive meal Grace provides.

Together we bow our heads and give thanks

before scooping out big heaps of the learning

laid before us.
 

The Second Course
 

In Grace comes again ...

the future she wore around her neck

vanishes into thin air

and the clocks behind us become quiet and still. 

She lovingly

serves the second course of acceptance.

Leaning forward so we can smell her

sweet perfume,

she offers  motherly instruction on

 the proper use of fork and napkin.
 

I find myself calling out

to the others hovering in the shadows,

hungry for what is being offered.
 
 
They gather at the table with us.

 

She fills all our glasses with

the very thing we thirsted for.

 

 The Third Course
 

Again Grace arrives,

her perfect face

smiling down on all of us

as she places the piece De la resistance

in front of us.

We consume it ravenously,

sharing every morsel with one another.

The more the other eats,

the more our hunger goes away.

"Love"...

she calls her special dish...

"Love."

It fills us so much

 we do not have room for dessert.

 

She smiles at us then,

removes her apron from her waist

and sits at this table,

laughing and talking

teaching and listening.

The candle light flickers

back and forth,

hopelessly competing with

the light that comes from her

forgiving presence.

 

It is a lovely meal.

 

I do not want it to end.

 

Hearing my unspoken words,
Grace whispers to me

over the twinkling crystal

in this timeless moment,

"It doesn't have to."
 
I smile and settle into the eternalness of now.
 
-Dale-Lyn 2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment