Friday, April 12, 2019

An Arrogance Free Check List?

How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things which we must check in daily life.
-Dalai Lama


The Beingness Checklist

As we put away our To Do lists for To Be lists, we begin using a different type of check list.  We begin monitoring, not what we accomplished or achieved of material world value, but what we have achieved of spiritual or internal value.  Of course it doesn't have to be an actual  list that we use to monitor our spiritual growth at the end of each day. I use that as a metaphor...a pointing finger only.

As I reflect on my beingness at the end of some days,  I happily discover  I did quite well with lots of mental check marks to show for it; other days, I struggle.    I still get stuck on anger and attachment quite often...especially when I am this tired! I am discovering that sleep deprivation does not help to add check marks to these lists.

Last night I felt the maternal-ego need to do an intervention at 2-4 in the am. (Tip for future reference-not a good time to do so lol). I was hot flashing and miserable as I approached the two lovely but somewhat lost individuals involved and I let them have it.  I was able to catch myself while I was well into my 'unconscious reaction' and brought myself back to that state of compassion and peace I want to 'respond' from but anger and attachment did get the best of me.  Sigh!


Learning from A Course

I am taken back to Lesson 186 in A Course in Miracles: Salvation of the world depends on me. If I truly want to do what I am here to do, I need to put away my anger, attachment, hatred, pride and jealousy.

These things take us from our function here and stop us from responding to others, circumstance, or Life in a way that will benefit all. They take us into busy doing, clinging, defending, pursuing, distracting, and seeking to attain an image of ourselves that we are not.  That is where the anger and attachment come from...our own arrogance

Arrogance makes an image of yourself that is not real. (ACIM-W-186:6:1)

Seeing Who We Are and Hearing What We Are To Do

Caught up in this image, we do not see what we and the people before us truly are.  We do not hear what we are really here for. Arrogance, in any of its forms, makes us deaf  to our purpose while humility sets us free.

Yet are the humble free to hear the Voice which tells them what they are and what to do. (ACIM-W-186:5:6)

It is when we forget to let God into our interventions...when we forget to connect to peace and presence... that the arrogant ego-mind takes over.  When we feel that we, as these limited little selves are the ones to solve the bigger problems in an external world way we become unconscious. 


It is not our job to fix others, circumstances or Life in the way arrogance leads us to believe.  It is our job to simply open up and let the true Self through so it can handle things in the way they were meant to be handled...with peace, compassion and love. We need  do nothing

The means are given us by which it will be perfectly accomplished. (ACIM-W-186:2:2)

I forgot my own prayer in my dealings with loved ones last night:

 
 
 
 
Use this ‘little me’ for the betterment of the world.

Let Me Be all that You intend Me to be

And let me pour that Self over all like a blanket

of compassionate love and healing
 
 

Oh well maybe next time I will do better and my check list will be something to be proud of.

All is well in my world.

References:

ACIM (2007) Workbook: A Course in Miracles: Combined Volume. Foundations for Inner Peace



 

No comments:

Post a Comment