Sunday, April 14, 2019

Namaste


When your chest is free of your limiting ego,
Then you will see the ageless Beloved.
You cannot see yourself without a mirror;
Look at the beloved, He is the brightest mirror.
- rumi
 
I completed the 21 day meditation challenge provided by Deepak Chopra and Oprah Winfrey today and I am a little sad that it is over.  It has seen me through a very challenging month.  I never missed a day despite the fact that I had to deal with some pretty major life crisis' : more or less 'forced' into an early retirement (nasty word-'forced'-and I am not implying that anyone or anything outside of me pushed me into this decision), had loved ones hurting themselves because of their sense of suffering to the point of near death, emergency open heart surgery in a family member that meant going away for weeks at a time to be by his side, walking smack dab into  the consequences of addiction, and serious mental illness in close loved ones...not to mention the usual stuff: finances, a house I can't keep up, health issues that were a little worrisome and frustrating to deal with  etc etc.  Still I found time...in fact I craved and honored that time ...to sit and listen to some wise individuals speak of grace and gratitude. Those twenty moments each morning were the highlight of my day...my saving grace.  :)
 
 
Today's session was about being able to see through the eyes of the soul. When we do that we see light everywhere, most importantly we see that light in everyone.  That light we see is the same light that is in us. It is the light of the 'ageless Beloved' we see when we look into the eyes of the people in front of us. We are a part of that light so we actually see ourselves.
 
 
I am a student and teacher of yoga so 'Namaste' is a Sanskrit greeting I recite often. If you take yoga classes or have been fortunate enough to visit Northern India, you too have heard it used quite often.  But what does it actually mean?
 
Namaste, loosely translated from Sanskrit means " The divine in me bows to/sees/honors  the the divine in you."  It echoes what Rumi and the 21st meditation in this series speaks to.
 
 
Namaste!
 
References
 
Deepak Chopra & Oprah Winfrey (n.d.) Manifesting Grace Through Gratitude.  Chopra Center
 
Wendy Moore (n.d.) Why do you say Namaste? Do You YogaRetrieved from https://www.doyouyoga.com/why-do-you-say-namaste/
 
Rumi (n.d.) Untitled .  Retrieved from Safo Archon's 7 Mystical Love Poems by Rumi https://theunboundedspirit.com/7-mystical-love-poems-by-rumi/
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment