Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Tiny Jewel

Value each drop of water you use to wash your face with as a jewel...[and know]...Every feeling is a drop of water, take care of it.
Thich Nhat Hanh ( somewhat paraphrased from dharma talk below)

I am having another one of those retroactive serendipitous experiences.  :) I was listening to Thich Nhat Hanh, in  the dharma talk listed below, speak of a Kung Fu checklist he offers retreat participants to observe their level of "beingness" at the end of each day.   And I instantly recalled the two articles I have written and published in 2017: Measuring the Quality of Your Day with a To Be List and How to Make the Most of your 24 Hour Life.  I did not know of the Kung Fu sheet then because this is the first time I tapped into this talk, but it is pretty well speaks to the same thing I wrote about in my articles.  Go figure.

(I also discovered recently that there is another writer with my real name...we are not one and the same....lol.  she has many more publications under her belt but it will get confusing.  I am going to have to put the -Lynn into my name from now.)

Anyway I digress...there is a little something wanting to come out of me since listening to the talk. Here it comes...

Tiny Jewel

So easily unseen
by the unmindful eye,
one shiny glistening jewel,
captured in a tiny drop,
suspends so delicately
from the faucet's mouth.

Catching the busy fluorescent lighting
in a flickering of remembering
an ancient history
a perfectly clear lake,
glacial and cold,
 once reflecting  sunlight, moonlight
and mountain peak
in  still and spacious waters.

One tiny expression of
This mighty  Source
now  seemingly so fragile,
at the mercy of gravitational fingers
that threaten to pull it into
the forgotten depths
at the bottom of the sink
you so take for granted.

Yet, it clings  tenaciously to
the last stage of this long
and arduous journey
that has taken it,
in many changing forms,
down snow capped trails,
and hidden streams,
through roaring rivers
and awaiting oceans
to this,
to you,
in hope you will see
the  mountain lake within it.

See the ruby, the diamond
and the sparkling sapphire
in its tiny little presence
 before it loses its desperate hold
on the metal lip of your appliance.

Reach up to capture it
in your cold and open  hand.
Notice it, thank it, embrace it,
and use it wisely.
Recognize The Source
of all things in it.
Allow  its final destination
to be one of restful peace
by showing it that the sacrifice it
has made for you
will not go unnoticed.

 
© Dale-Lynn 2020

If I copy right in my pen name, can I switch to my real name at any time?  Rhetorical question I ask because I have submitted some of these blog poems for publication purposes using my real name.  Must check into that.

All good!


Plum Village (Sept, 2018) Happiness is Made By These Moments/Dharma Talk by Thich Nhat Hanh 2004https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlOEfUdgIEI

http://www.globalharmonycrew.com/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-life-the-24-hour-life/

https://tinybuddha.com/blog/measuring-the-quality-of-your-day-with-a-to-be-list-not-just-a-to-do-list/

No comments:

Post a Comment