Saturday, July 6, 2019

Fully Engaged?

True enlightenment means that you are in the continual presence of great compassion; therefore you will not remain in solitary peace but will always be fully engaged in the welfare of others.
Dalai Lama

Hmm!  I still have to open my eyes a bit wider and stretch out the sleepiness a bit more, I guess.  I am not truly awake/enlightened and recognize and accept that I may never be in this lifetime.  It certainly is, however, something wonderful to strive ( oops not the best word when speaking about this process lol)...to look towards.

When my ego world started to crumble around me...partly by circumstances beyond my control and partly by my own choice...I retreated away from society to some extent.  I went off Facebook and all other forms of social media.  I made it fairly hard to get "a hold of me".  I no longer have a house phone and seldom have my cell with me. I hardly go out or have company over.  I do not "do" many of the things I used to.  I avoid crowds with a vengeance...I just don't enjoy being surrounded by large numbers of people. I much prefer the company of animals. I guess I have found a certain "comfort" and "contentment" in semi-solitude.

Can I remain in "solitary peace?" 

No...that is not what most of us are here for.

Compassion is one of the reasons why we are here, I believe.  To serve, to be fully engaged in the welfare of others. 

Am I still engaged enough?

That is a question that I ponder.  I have very little idea what is going on "out there".  I am really not following the political scene.  Whn I meet with siblings , they fill me in( not at my request lol) because they are  intelligent and socially aware.  I am sure they believe I have gone brain dead lol. I don't watch the news.  I do not know what my "social community" is doing...what is up in the lives of friends...because I don't do social media.  So am I engaged?  If an old friend lost a loved one or was going through a hard time...I wouldn't know?  I wouldn't be able to offer My physical support.  They, I am sure, would see me as selfish and uncaring.

I think warm thoughts and wish all the people I know and the people I don't know well and pray and hope they are doing well...does that count?

How do I serve?

I know eventually I have to go "back out there".

I know I have to serve at a greater level than I am serving.  I don't yet know how or what it is I can do...but I do know that.  I need to be more engaged in the welfare of others in a way that I am being called.  I think it is with words, with teaching but I don't know for sure...that could be my ego telling me that.  What I do know is that it will involve compassion for all the others ( which are really not others) around me...be they sentient or non sentient.  I know that much.  Maybe my calling will be to simply sell Popsicles on a street corner lol or maybe it will be to leave the world with a great message.  I don't know. 

If I am fully engaged in the welfare of others, however, I will know I an fully awake and giving the world the compassion I am here ( we are all here) to give.

All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment