Sunday, February 3, 2019

Compassionate listening/healing

Compassionate listening is to help the other side suffer less.
Thich Nhat Hanh (https://plumvillage.org/news/thich-nhat-hanh-shares-secrets-to-peaceful-mind/)

I have been thinking about helping, right? Serving...doing my small part to reach out and end or at least diminish the sense of suffering in others.  I am not sure what that makes me ...other than crazier than a bag of hammers in many people's eyes lol (delusions of grandeur)...but it is what I want to do. In most sections of A Course it is referred to as being a teacher and in the later section a psychotherapist. 

It is said in the section entitled, Psychotherapy: Purpose, Process and Practice that : Psychotherapy is the only form of therapy there is.  Since only the mind can be sick, only the mind can be healed.  Only the mind is in need of healing. (ACIM: Psychotherapy: Intro:1:1-3) 

Though I do not walk away with a full understanding of A Course, even after my third time through it, nor do I adhere to all its teachings in exactly the way it was taught...I get this.  I do believe this.  I believe that the source of all our problems, all our suffering, is in the mind with how we think.

In fact, I always believed this to some extent and that is probably why I was thinking of psychology way back when I was in high school, why nursing didn't really fit, teaching did and why I have tried a couple times over the course of my life to turn my compass in this direction.  Life circumstances showed up to slow me down probably because I wasn't completely ready.  I was missing an important ingredient to seeing clearly therefore greatly limited  in my capacity to help.  I myself was still not completely clear.  I am still not as clear as I can be but I am on the right path thanks to my little journey to awakening. Now with this level of understanding I am developing, I might be ready to start helping others. I mean truly helping.

So I ran across a beautiful little dharma talk from Thich Nhat Hanh today that explained how we can best teach, best help others to transcend suffering. We can do this through a process of understanding.  Understanding and assistance with healing evolves through the following steps:

  1. Understanding Self and Recognizing Own Need for Healing: Of course, to assist someone else in their healing by understanding them,  we first have to understand our selves and be in a place where we are healed, healing or at least very willing to. He [the specialized teacher/psychotherapist] learns through teaching, and the more advanced he is the more he teaches and the more he learns. But whatever stage he is in, there are patients who need him just that way.  They can not take more than he can give for now.  Yet both will find sanity at last.(ACIM:Psycho:2:I:4:4-7)
  2. Understanding the nature of suffering. Suffering is of the mind and involves how we do not see a way out.  May people who suffer have their own idea of what happiness is and if they  do not get what they  think will make them happy, they often shut down other avenues.  We help when we show that there are other ways to end suffering.
  3. Developing The Four Unlimited Qualities: MaƮtre, Karuna, Medita, and Upeksha. (Hanh)
  •  Maitre, according to Thich Nhat Hanh, has been loosely and somewhat incorrectly translated to mean 'loving-kindness'.  He prefers the translation of 'friendliness and 'brotherhood' so that we do not mistaken it with 'attachment.' Yes we love and we are kind but we do so in a way where we respect our own freedom and that of the person we are wishing to help. If we are not free( trapped by attachment needs) we can not help others.
  • Karuna is the capacity to truly see and understand the suffering in another without getting lost in that  suffering.  When we can do that, we can help the person transcend their suffering.  Hahn uses an example of the physician. When a person presents with a series of signs and symptoms, the physician is able to help the patient by objectively determining the cause of suffering and then prescribing measures to relieve it.  If she became lost in the suffering of the individual she would not be able to remain objective enough to prescribe treatment in a healthy way. His use of Karuna allows him to be truly helpful.  He also went on to say that if the Buddha spent all his time crying with those who were suffering he would not have had  the time to truly help them. This takes us back then to the difference between pity/sympathy and empathy or compassion. Karuna is helpful compassion.
  • Medita refers to a joyful approach we take to teh other person who is suffering.  I know it sounds ironic.  When we are suffering the last thing we want is someone to come to us with a big smile on their face and laughter in their tone as we relay our so called 'problems'. Here we, as teachers and therapists,  learn to use what Hanh calls empathetic joy.  We do not lose our own joy in the other person's suffering because we know our joy comes from understanding what the other has yet to understand, that suffering is unnecessary.  We see the resolution, the outcome a change of perception will lead to.  We see that the person's so called misery is a result of perception only.  Perceptions of this idea they have of themselves  we know can be changed. Psychotherapy is a process that changes the view of the self.  At best the "new' self is a more beneficent self-concept..." (ACIM:Pschcho:2.Intro:1:1-2)
  • And finally Upeksha is equanimity and inclusiveness in our approach to all.  We do not discriminate or judge as we seek to help all who may need our help. We see our Self in the other.
 4.We help ourselves and the other to let go of this idea of happiness we/they may still cling to knowing, however, that they may be resistant to letting go. Their idea of happiness involves what they see as themselves and there may be a need there to defend and protect it.  What they seek from healing in the beginning may not be what we have learned to see as helpful. He wants to make the vulnerable invulnerable and the limited limitless. (ACIM:Psycho:2:Intro:3:5) Letting go is a process. We have to also ensure that we have let go before we help someone else to.

5. Patience with the process. Readiness and a willingness to let go of old beliefs is essential. So we have to understand the nature of resistance and be patient until the person is willing and ready to get better. ...no one learns beyond his own readiness. (ACIM:Psycho:2:I:1:3)

Hmm!  that is a lot to think about. 

It's all good.  All is well in my world

References

ACIM: Psychotherapy: A Course in Miracles; Combined Volume. Foundations for Inner Peace

Thich Nhat Hanh,(November 25, 2004) Love and Happiness.  Dharma Talk.  Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtPqonJJP_o&vl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment