Monday, October 17, 2022

Learning to Observe One's Mind Using a Sacred Text

 There are no phenomena extraneous to those that originate from the mind.  So, one should observe one's own mind, looking into its nature again and again. 

Tibetan Bok of the Dead....page 45

Note: Text and formatting on this post is way off and I cannot seem to fix it. My bad! :) .

That is the path I am on...looking into the mind again, and again and again. 

For further guidance in this area, I am reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead and really trying to get to know it.  The first three chapters , though offering  very succinct tidbits of wisdom, in regards to the nature of the mind and the importance of taming it, as well as some insight on Tibetan Buddhist tradition, left me feeling like I was doing something sac-religious, like I was touching something I had no right to touch or read, let alone attempt to study and understand on my own. I was reminded, as I read through these chapters, of my catholic upbringing and the way I received the teachings then.  Like only so many people had the right to study and interpret the words in the scripture and to attempt to do so, without the  guidance of the high ranking members of the church,  was like a mortal sin. Likewise this ancient text was not meant, it seems,  for the unguided lay person's interpretation.  It is meant only for the lineage holders to protect,  interpret and share with the "less worthy"(my words). 

·        I have been finding other similarities to my Catholic upbringing upon reading this book. There is a lot of “should and musts” in this text, so far, a lot of “if you want to receive salvation you got be virtuous in this life so you are saved in the next”  type of thing (or at least saved from the wheel of Samsara), a lot of ritualistic and repetitive chanting (making me  think of the rosary and recitation of things like the Apostle’s creed etc) and there is  this required  “reverence” for and “need to be taught” by a select hierarchy of  lineage holders who held the sacred texts from public view for centuries ( the catholic control over the original bible). I see a set up in this monastic  hierarchy maybe…like priests and cardinals and popes…I just do not have the feeling of the “direct experience” that it is pointing too, in the first few chapters.  There seems to be some outside control requesting a certain dependency on the “lineage holders”, teachers and scripture.  It seems to point to the “religion” as the only way to get there??? Man, how many times have I heard that growing up?  There is designed a specific practice of recitation, prayer, reflection? For example, "It is recommended that the preliminary practice be repeated 100,000 times  as a prerequisite.." 


 Now, I know I am in no position to judge or offer an opinion on something as revered as this book is. It is not wholesome or beneficial for me to pick and choose pieces of it that I like or don't like.  I can't critique it by any means. I really do not know anything about anything.  But I do want to approach it honestly, as well as respectfully.  I will read it all.  I will study it all...(without a lineage holder teacher, I am afraid.   I have always been a very independent and self directed learner...I learn best that way. Besides where is one going to find a lineage holder teacher from that tradition around these parts lol  )  All that being said, I struggled, because of my own past memories,  through the first few chapters, though they offered beautiful, almost poetic tidbits and guidance for practice. When I read Chapter four: The Introduction to Awareness: Naked Liberation Through Perception, however...a beautiful light went on! It resonated with me. In this chapter we are introduced , in a lovely  poetic way, to the true nature of the mind. Here the essence of all teachings from all traditions, all religions  seem to come together in a very profound way. I found myself saying, "Yeah! This is why I am reading this! I get it!"  

A  Anyway, I will not contaminate this book with my meager opinion or judgement. All is well!



 



 

A

A



 

No comments:

Post a Comment