Friday, March 8, 2019

Seeing Rightly (through Terracotta Soldiers)

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
-Antoine  de Sainte-Exupery  (The Little Prince)

Working on a poem that I started here yesterday and because it came out here I wanted to leave here.  Now I am wondering if that is a good idea.  It is just a poem.  I have copy right protection.  I can prove that it is mine.  I don't want any money for it either do I want anyone else to make any money off it (not that they could lol). Just leave it be...please.

After a wonderful get together with friends I found myself triggered as I was innocently reminded of how much my life has changed, how different I now was compared to them and the person I use to be. I  felt  like all my usual defense mechanisms and personas were dropping away messily...and I wondered if my friends  could almost see them dropping away and if that made them feel uncomfortable. It was a lovely, lovely visit yet a weird mental  experience took place in my head.  My friends are both absolutely  lovely...my vulnerability had nothing to do with them.

It actually has been surfacing all week...that heavy sadness I felt when I got up each morning...and I was just very much aware of it during the  visit.  Then I picked up these beautiful little Terra-cotta soldiers that were tourist/gift  representatives of the ones found in the Chinese tomb.  Something happened as I held one in my hand...I became aware of how all our defenses and protection are really not real...but used by ego  to scare others away.  Being open and raw is not a bad thing. 

So the poem came out...but it took more time than usual (hours!!)...I was a bit obsessed with it until I finally finished.  Now I feel like wow! I feel relief and release.  Is that what was coming up since Monday???  I didn't want to analyze it with conceptual thought so it came out creatively...still with words mind you...but words that came from the place behind the mind and not the mind itself.  :)
I guess it is about Seeing rightly.

I will put it here now and do whatever I can to protect it but I will just let it be. If I become aware there is any illicit behaviour, I will deal with it harshly only for the preservation of the written word :) :


Terra-cotta Soldiers in a Perfect Little Room



I feel the jagged little pieces of life piercing through my chest,

pulling away the broken flesh and feeding on the rest.

Bleeding , draining  memories, sticky, sweet  and wet

drip through tiny holes of me, staining social etiquette.



 I stand here awkwardly, not quite knowing what to say,

My mind resisting  noisily as  spirit pushes walls away.

Do they notice I am unprotected now, open, exposed and raw

As I smile my  nervous smile, feeling the  tightness in my jaw?



Do they see beyond this decaying  carcass with its matted clumps of past

Still sticking to the surface of an image that was never meant to last?

Do they wonder who I am now with all the flimsy veils torn away

Or would it be simpler  if I hid behind my burqa for yet another day?



All that remains of my defenses are spilling slowly to the floor

Creating large  embarrassing puddles that leads me reaching for the door.

But I do not want to leave a mess behind for anyone else to  clean

So like the  well trained dogs,  I sit and hope the puddles can’t be seen.

 
Do they hear the apologetic trembling in my scattered broken speech

That once expressed such confidence as I stood in front to teach?

Are my long pauses leaving them wondering what we  will dare speak of next

As we distractedly reach for cell phones and the protective wall of text?



Even the tiny terra-cotta soldiers, I know,  can not  protect my crumbling  tomb

And  I feel a chill despite the light pouring into this perfect little room.

I now know I have trembled more from fear than I ever did from cold

and suddenly I feel like the soldiers ....so very, very old,



I am not who I used to be, the person they knew is gone

yet my body sits  upright and smiles and tries to carry on

 the fantasy that I ever was this stranger   they once said they loved and  knew

with the same  desires, goals and wishes, I  so drastically  out grew



There is so much of me that longs to be here, to just sit within their grace

To speak of perfect homes, perfect kids, the challenges they face,

to talk of their work, their pets and crafts, with  life so innocently  expressed

but it  leaves me, for some reason,   feeling  stripped  down to my naked brokenness.



 Thankfully there is no talk of shattered hearts, of loss, or bodies that are ill

There is little focus on decaying  forefronts and the externals that haunt me still.

They graciously drop their eyes and look away from my broken ,bloody parts 

And do they do so, I wonder,  with apathy or with kindness in their hearts?



I know it’s hard to look upon what remains of an ugly broken shell

beaten down, and tarnished, depicting how traumatically someone fell

from ego's pedestal of laurel wreaths and perfect  decored  normalcy

to the hard cold depth of something else , a world so few want to see.



I want to reassure them it is just the outer that can break

And though it looks so messy, it is just the externals life can take

Clinging and fighting and holding on to remnants  will never give us peace

There is something so healing,  and so freeing, in the sweetness of release.




Besides ...this ‘little me” they thought they knew is just eschar on the skin

and once debrided fully,  the healing light will finally come in.

I want to speak of what I learn as each layer is stripped away

And let them know that though it  stings, it is going to be okay.


But as I sit on perfect chairs,  beside tiny soldiers, seeking  true identity,

I question if they can see beyond the layer of  raw and fragile vulnerability.

Who I really am is well preserved and waiting within this wall-less  terracotta tomb

Where precious Love shines through to  all of us who gather in this room.



I am not sure though that what I have to say is something they would really care to hear.

So I bite my lip and nod my head and I  listen, focusing on simply being here.

Then I awkwardly take a picture of us to remember how we used to be

And sadly walk away from the room, the soldiers and the lovely company.

© Dale-Lyn 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment